the starting point

the starting point

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July from Clarke, Colorado.

No internet for 3 days really presents a challange with the blog. But, we sure have been having some fun. We have been staying at Pearl Lake Campground in Northern Colorado right next to Wyoming. We left Estes Park two days ago to arrive here. A beautiful state park that Ethan, Susan, Sage and a few friends had already reserved. We got to tag along. http://www.parks.state.co.us/Parks/PearlLake/Pages/PearlLakeStateParkHome.aspx
This park is soooo quiet. It is a shame that the pine beetle that has devestated so much of the rockies has really done a number on this park as well.

Ethan and his crew have all gone now but we are staying an extra night before our trek into Wyoming. We have seen some amazing wildlife. In our campground last night a silver fox ran right in front of me. We have seen bald eagles, unique herons, big horn sheep and, our favorite, the mamma moose and calf.

Fannie Leigh and Eli played in and around the lake ALL day yesterday. Eli even built a raft from some of the devestated pine beetle felled trees and floated out into the lake. Seriously, he spent a good portion of the day building this raft. Fannie Leigh and Sage hunted crawfish for a good part of the day. Ethan remaked that it was lovely to see the kids play by the lake all day inventing all different types of projects. I'll have some pictures later in the week. I forgot to bring the camera and cord to the Clark General Store where I have come to use the free wi-fi for a while.

The general store is priceless. It has the old time post office boxes for the surrouding county. You can fill up your propane, get some beer, have some homemade chili, listen to the local cowboys and cowgirls talk about rounding up the herds or their latest big game hunt, get some yummy ice-cream, check out a book at the library in the corner, and of course, purchase a souvenir.

Tomorrow is a big travel day but we will stop for the night in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Here I hope to load up some pictures of our last few days for you all to see. It has been days without a shower so I see a hotel in our future tomorrow night. No facilities here at Pearl Lake so unless you get into the FREEZING lake, you aren't getting a washing. This really applies to me not the rest of my family.

Hope you all aren't too hot down south!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I've been in them ther' parts and know how peaceful it can be. Keep on enjoying.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was almost insufferable this a.m. for the parade on Carr...but a good thunderstorm clouded it up, rained & made it a bearable 4th! so glad all is soo wonderful for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I wish I was there (really!).

    Jason

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.